Wedding Reception Decorations:
Avoiding the Cheap and Cheesy
Undoubtedly, you've attended at least one wedding where the wedding reception decorations veered toward either a cheap or cheesy look—or both. Often when you are planning your wedding, you have to deal with budget concerns and the input of multiple people who all want things their way. The result is that you may get steered toward decorations that just aren't up to what you want.
To get great wedding reception decorations that avoid the cheap and cheese factors, keep in mind the following tips:
- Go natural. Nature can provide you with an amazing backdrop for your reception and save you money. Parks, backyards, and other natural areas can give you open space with its own decorations. Often, you can use fewer reception decorations than you would in a hall, hotel ballroom, or other space. Of course, you'll need to find a spot with cover in case of bad weather (although many people use tents).
- Choose a great space. If you do want an indoor reception, look for a place that looks attractive even without decorations. Many times people go overboard on the decorations because they are trying to disguise an ugly reception site. By using an attractive room, you won't need to use as many decorations, saving you money and keeping you from over doing it.
- Use simple, classic decorations. When you're working on a budget, buy a few really great pieces of decoration rather than a bunch of cheap ones. You can often find very simple, classic looks by looking through websites, books, or magazines on wedding design. Think about larger, single items like potted plants, vases, or candles that will take up space and look good alone.
- Don't go overboard on themes. Sometimes brides choose a theme for the wedding, which can be a good way to help you plan reception decorations, but they go too far with the theme. Keep the theme simple and classic if you can.
- Hire a professional if you have the resources to do so. You'll still need to make sure that things don't get out of hand on the decoration front, but it helps to have someone who's done wedding reception decorations before to help you decide what to do in the space you have.
With a little planning, you can find great wedding reception decorations that don't have a hint of being cheap or cheesy. Choosing the right reception site is key to having a reception that will leave people talking—for the right reasons.